Importation of Musicians Grant
The funding category is designed to enable South Dakota orchestras to import musicians that are not available within their own community to improve the quality of a performance season.
Nonprofit symphony orchestras designated as federally tax-exempt under the IRS Section 501(c)(3), units of government, or nonprofit educational institutions. Organizations not meeting this requirement may apply under the auspices of a qualifying organization, which then becomes responsible for all fiscal and contractual arrangements.
Recipients of Arts Challenge Grants, Project Grants and Small Organization Season Support Grants are not eligible to apply for Importation of Musicians Grants.
All applications must be submitted on-line only by March 1. Due to the grant deadline falling on a Sunday, the March 1, deadline will be extended to Monday, March 2, 2015. Applicants may start to apply on December 1. Grant awards will be announced in May for the fiscal year that begins the following July 1.
No more than 50% of the total musician importation costs and no more than a maximum of $5,000 may be requested from the Arts Council. Grants must be matched at least dollar for dollar. A strong cash commitment by the applicant is encouraged. Funds may be requested as needed throughout the fiscal year. The final payment (10% of grant) will be made upon receipt of the evaluation.
Criteria for Awarding Grants
Applications are reviewed by the music panel and the Council with consideration given to:
- Quality within the art form
- Contribution to overall quality of the arts in applicant’s region
- Complete description of the applicant organization
- Realistic artistic fees and grant request
How to Prepare and Submit an Application
Applications for an Importation of Musicians Grant must be submitted on line through the South Dakota Arts Council’s e-grant system on or before March 1. Hard-copy applications submitted through the mail will not be accepted.
When you log onto the e-grant system you will be asked to:
- Complete an Applicant Profile
- Complete an Applicant Information form
- Complete an Importation Summary & Information form
- Complete a pre-existing budget form outlining importation expenses.
- Complete a pre-existing list of imported musicians form
- Create and upload (attach) an Applicant Description narrative
- Create and upload (attach) biographies or resumes of conductor and other key artistic personnel.
- Upload (attach) examples of artistic documentation.
- Scan and upload (attach) or mail supporting print materials, i.e. reviews, letters of recommendation, etc.
- Complete Signature Page
- Electronically submit application
- Mail Signature Page to SDAC
Specific instructions for completing and submitting the above information will be provided after you log into the e-grant system (https://sdac.cgweb.org/) and complete the Applicant Profile.
Evaluations forms are due 30 days from the ending date of the Importation of Musicians season. Information required on the Evaluation Form includes description and comments on the project, rating (with explanation) of the project, number of events scheduled, actual number of individuals benefiting, and financial report that includes all income and expenses for the orchestra’s season.
Subsequent grants are dependent upon receipt of complete evaluation reports.